Facts About Indoor Air Quality
- According to the EPA, the indoor air we breathe is up to 70% more polluted than outdoor air.
- The average 6-room house collects 40 pounds of dust a year.
- 50% of illnesses are caused or aggravated by polluted indoor air.
- Children are more likely to be affected by polluted indoor air caused by contaminated air ducts.
- A build-up of 0.16 of an inch of dust on a heating or cooling coil can result in a 21% decrease in efficiency.
- The American Lung Association says that Air Ducts have more germs than a chicken coop.
- One out of six people who suffer from allergies do so because of the direct relationship of the fungi
and bacteria in the air duct systems. (Total Health & Better Health Magazine.)
- Most people spend 60 - 90% of their time indoors. (ALA) American Lung Association
- Most commercially purchased fiberglass filters are only 7% efficient in stopping dirt, dust, pollen, etc. passing through it. (ASHRAE)
- Dirty ventilation systems and contaminated ductwork combined are a 50.9% contributor to sick building syndrome. (Healthy Buildings International)
- It is estimated that poor air quality directly results, on an annual basis, in $1 billion in medical costs and $60 billion in employee sick leave and lost production.